These are both situated in the townland of Taughmaconell. The name comes from a church that was build there by a MacConail or MoConail. There is no record of when it was built or when it became parish church. There were no parishes in Ireland prior to 1125. Most of the parishes were formed after 1152 when the dioceses were finally set out. The parish of Taughmaconnell was in place before 1302 because it was mentioned in the Papal Taxation list that was made in the years 1302-1306. The present ruin is not the first church build there because of two features of the present ruin , the style of part of teh windows and the priest’s residence at the West end show that it was built sometime between 1400 and 1500.
The priests from the priory of Clontuskert (The Medieval Augustinian Priory of Clontuskert, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway.) were the administrators of the Church.
When the Taughmaconnell Heritage & Historical Society was formed its first task was to clean up and do some restoration work on the Old Church and Graveyard and also St Ronan’s Well. A house to house collection was done in the parish to raise funds for the project and over £3,500 was raised. Before any work was done the society secured the services of an archaeologist, Mr. Marcus Casey from Universtity College Galway. A detailed survey was carriesd out and a report presented in April 1992. A FAS ( Irish employment authority) scheme of a supervisor and six workers started on the site in in mid-February 1993 and finished one year later. St Ronan’s Well was also restored.
The graveyard contains many gravestones from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Old Graveyard Inscriptions