The Parish of Taughmaconnell was almost certainly established after the Synod of Kells in 1152. Prior to the setting up of Dioceses the spiritual needs of the people were taken care if by monks from local monasteries. Place names such as Killeglan and Kilkenny signify the cells or abodes of very early missionaries but no account of these has survived.
The first mention of the Parish occurs in the Papal Taxation of 1291-1302. This taxation was collected to finance a Crusade to the Holy Land.
After the Reformation a Cornelius Flavus O’Keally who had been collated to the vicarage of ‘Tymokonyll’ surrended his letters of collation to Henry VIII and was confirmed in the Vicarage by the king.