The first mention of schools in Taughmaconnell is in the second report of the commissioners of Irish Education Enquiry dated 16th September 1826. It lists a hedge school in Dundonnell. It was a pay school, the pupils had to pay to attend, and was a stone and thatched building. Some older people in the parish remember an old school building at the back of the present social centre. The commission of Public Instruction, Ireland lists three schools in the parish. There is also local knowledge of a hedge school in Feacle in Keogh’s yard. Records in the National Archives show that Taughmaconnell N.S. was established in 1852. This was probably the school building that was mentioned earlier. The old school is dated 1901. Rev Pat Galvin, PP, Ballinasloe was the administrator. Margaret McSweeney was the first registered teacher. Her salary was £10 pa. The parishioners donated £50 towards the cost of building the school. The earriest roll books in Taughmaconnell date from 1865.
The first school in Castlesampson, was established in 1853 in Eskerbeg. The second school was built in 1881 a one room building. The second room was built by Pat Creavin, Culfatha and his father James. The same records show that Castlesampson school was established on 3rd August 1853. The administrator was also Rev Pat Galvin PP, Ballinasloe, The first teacher was Martin Moore and his salary was £11 pa. The date on the old school house in Castlesampson is 1881, so there must have been an earlier building on the same site or nearby.
There are no official records of Tavanagh School to be found. The date plaque gives the date as 1885. This was originally a one-roomed building with an open fire for heating. A partition was erected in the mid 1960s to create two classrooms. Electric storage heating was also installed at this time. Tavanagh School was closed in 1974 and amalgamated with Taughmaconnell. The new Taughmaconnell School was opened in 1974. The pupils remember going to the old school building in the morning then packing their school bags and walking over the road to the new building. The new school in Castlesampson was opened on 22nd June 1965.
At present there are four teachers in Taughmaconnell and two teachers in Castlesampson.