One of the most famous landmarks in Taughmaconnell was Finneran’s public house in Killeglan which as popularly known as Patsy Jacks. The pub had bene in the hands of the Finneran’s for 4 generations. It was originally opened in the 1850’s by Jack Finneran. It was then run by his son Jack, and then Martin and finally Martin Joe.
There was originally a mill on the site and it seems that this will was operated by nuns hundred’s of years ago. The Finneran family kept the mill going until its closure in 1936.
The pub became famous under the ownership of Martin Joe Finneran. He worked in the pub until 1993 at which stage he was 90 years old. For years Patsy Jack’s had one of the cheapest pints in the country. Martin Joe worked in the pub on his own until 1993 and he passed away in 1997 at the age of 94. The pub closed in 1998.
Presently there are tow public houses in the parish – Kileens in Togher and McHugh’s in the village itself.